Property tax assistance is available for limited-income seniors

Senior Center News
Thursday, February 14, 2019
Article Image Alt Text

This week’s column is about the Property Tax Assistance Program that helps citizens on a fixed or limited income by reducing the property tax rate on their home.

The PTAP benefit only applies to the first $200,000 of your primary residence’s market value. Your income and marriage status determine the reduction.

For homes on agricultural or forest land, the benefit applies to the home and oneacre home site.

Eligibility qualifications include:

First: You own or currently are under a contract to purchase a home or mobile/ manufactured home.

Second: You live in the home as your primary residence for at least seven months of the year.

Third: You have a 2017 Federal Adjusted Gross Income (FAGI), excluding capital and income losses, less than $22,711 for a single person or $30,281 for married or head of household.

Fourth: Your spouse’s income is included in your FAGI regardless of whether they are a co-owner of the home.

If you are a new Montana resident, include a copy of your 2017 federal income tax return with your completed application. If your only income is from social security, veterans’ benefits and/ or other nontaxable sources, include a copy of your social security statement and/or other income documentation with your completed application.

Depending on your marital status and income, the reduction is 80 percent, 50 percent or 30 percent of the normal tax rate. The income ranges are updated each year for inflation.

The reduction rate is 80 percent for a single person with $0 to $9,084, and married or head of household with $0 to $12,112. The 50 percent and 30 percent are included with the table when you apply.

You may apply for assistance by returning a completed Property Tax Assistance Program application (Form PTAP) to your field office. Your application must be postmarked by April 15, 2019. If you miss the deadline, your application will be considered the following year.

As long as you own and live in your home, your application will remain active. The Montana Department of Revenue will send you a letter each year with your current Property Tax Assistance Program status.

If you would like a Property Tax Assistance Program application, I can print one out for you at the Hardin Senior Center or go to the Department of Revenue site at Form/199.

The Department of Revenue field office for Big Horn County is at 23 N. Broadway Ave. Lower Level, Red Lodge, MT 59068. Its phone number is (406) 446-1223. They are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The mailing address is MT Dept. of Revenue, P.O. Box 647, Red Lodge, MT 59068. The email address is .

A thank you is sent to the E & R Church Women’s Guild for the donation to the Needy Persons Nutrition Program of the Council on Aging.

Volunteer decorators helped to beautify the senior center this week, filling it full of hearts and valentines. Thank you to Elaine, Clara, Etta, Cliff, Margaret and Miriam.

We’re wishing for warmth and sunshine, so people don’t have to stay home much longer.

Our bus is available for transportation each weekday. Don’t worry about starting your cold car; call us at

(406) 665-2581. We’ll take you anywhere in Hardin.

Next week’s activities include the birthday dinner on Wednesday, Feb. 20 and a movie the afternoon of Friday, Feb. 22.

Come join us here, where you’ll be warm and be with friends.

Hardin Senior Center menu:

Thursday, Feb. 14 – barbecue chicken, coleslaw, beans, Valentine’s cookies
Friday, Feb. 15 – fish burger, macaroni salad, veggies, dessert
Monday, Feb. 18 – President’s Day
Tuesday, Feb. 19 – beef barley soup, sandwich, dessert
Wednesday, Feb. 20 – pork roast dinner, cake, ice cream
Thursday, Feb. 21 – ham and eggs, hash browns, fruit

Lodge Grass Senior Center menu:

Friday, Feb. 15 – barbecue pork sandwich, macaroni salad, fruit salad, corn
Monday, Feb. 18 – President’s Day
Wednesday, Feb. 20 – birthday dinner (roast beef)